Friday, August 12, 2011

Wk2 Reading: " The Art of Possibility" Chpts 1-4


“I did the best I can, with what I had” – Thurgood Marshall (cited in this book)


In most courses in college it is rare if you ever read your textbook that is associated with a class more than you are required too, let alone ever pick it up again after the class is over. Yet, this book, “Art of Possibility” by Benjamin & Rosamund Zander, has been a refreshing change of the norm.
Beginning the first chapter it comes of as more of a self-help book but is more motivational and enlightening with its practices as you go on in a more biographical manner. The viewpoints from the two authors were an interesting perspective, as if you were just sitting in a room talking to an old married couple about life. They’re very Zen-like in their description of their philosophies, and I enjoyed the calm and playfulness of their tone.

In essence it seems to teach the reader how to utilize certain practices to look at the world with a fresh new outlook. To give people the benefit of the doubt, realizing how someone or the little things people do can contribute to yours and other’s lives positively. In a way nurturing the practice of having an open mind and showing other’s, particularly students, how to do the same. It presents a very optimistic way of thinking and interacting with your environment while trying to keep from letting the world, and it’s expectations of you, stress you out or keep you from what you know deep down you can achieve.
The paradigms have been great so far, from a Picasso conversation – that’s always classic- to student’s “future” letters. I particularly love the quote based on the consequences of an easy life:

“I’m so sorry for you, your life has been so easy. You can’t play great music unless your heart’s been broken” -Casper Cassado (B. Zander’s former teacher)

Personally I feel like that statement it impressively true. These chapters remind me of many of the lessons my own father has taught my siblings and me. Although we have been through a lot he, as his life has demonstrated, shows us that these things are tough but they have made us stronger than the average person, able to deal with things easier, and quicker to bounce back with even more positivity than before. We are not to be bitter of or to others and try our best to trust and love someone even if they have done us wrong. While that can be a challenge at times, it’s less draining than being negative and angry.

Transitioning these practices into teaching, as they describe with their own examples seems effective. I’m pleased this book has been a requirement for reading, I would’ve never picked it up otherwise, yet I plan to continue to pick up especially when the moments of disappointment tries to rear it’s ugly head and I’m in need of reflection.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful reflection and application of the book to your life. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete